Monday 20 October 2014

Dachshunds and Their History

When I was in grade school, I walked down the street everyday to and from the bus stop. And every day, there was an annoying dog that always barked at me as I walked past. With its shiny brown hair, it snapped at me with ferocity. But the dog didn't scare me, because it was a Dachshund, also known as a wiener dog. Every time I passed him, I wondered why he was so annoying. I wanted to know why every single wiener dog I had every come into contact with was as confrontational as Mike Tyson. It led me to look into its past.

It is generally accepted that the Dachshund was first bred in Germany, although there are rumors that perhaps the ancient Egyptians had the first. Recently unearthed, mummified Dachshund-looking dogs substantiate these claims. Despite the potential controversy, Dachshunds have served humans for centuries. Many have been members of well-respected families in various societies.

From the German perspective, the dog was an example of magnificent engineering. "Dachshund" in German translates to "badger dog," which describes adequately what it was designed for. The tenacity in the dog's behavior was no mistake. These hounds required great courage to chase after badgers in the forest. The original animals are a bit larger-about 30 to 40 heavier. Their long streamlined bodies allowed them to burrow deep into holes in order to fish out the elusive animals.

By 1800, these dogs had become a token house pet, especially popular in Great Britain, and it was at that time that they started to grow smaller. Not long after, its association with Germany gave it a bad name. World War I and II painted a bleak future for the beady-eyed canine, but its cuteness brought back the love of the everyday man.

As pets, the animals are a joy to have, except for the moment of excessive barking. Like most other dogs they are loving, caring, and very protective of their owners. Most people are very accepting of their nature.

If you or someone you know is thinking about getting a Dachshund as a pet, be sure to get it properly checked out by a certified and experienced veterinarian in your area. Keep the dog on a very balanced diet and make sure that it receives enough exercise each week.

Powered By: www.myblog20155.wordpress.com

No comments:

Post a Comment